Saturday, August 24, 2013

KNOW THYself

What does it mean to know thyself? Do you know yourself? Do you know your ancestral history? Do you know the origins of your culture? I am blessed that I have parents who have taught me all about where I come from. I am a Luba from Mbujimayi, Kasai Oriental, Democratic Republic of Congo. The entirety of my family comes from that one spot on Earth. Our whole family history is still alive and well, although living in obscurity. Despite the poverty and tragedy that is the DR Congo, I represent every day that I live. Going beyond representing and putting my money where my mouth is, Leja Bulela (www.lejabulela.org) is an organization that I support that supports my people and where I come from. A few weeks ago my wife and I went with our unborn child to LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art). We found this display and enjoyed spending time there. I was so proud to see my tribe's works on display. It was a feeling that was a mix of joy and sorrow. Joy for the recognition of our rich artisan heritage and sorrow for the fact that my people are still struggling to get wifi and a clean toilet. However, direct action with true people helps me maintain. Take a trip to LACMA and check out the Luba exhibit. You'll love it!

























No comments: